Friday, February 13, 2009

Holy Smoke


Abby spilled beet juice on the carpet and I couldn't go back to sleep. I got up and ate two pieces of cake for breakfast, 6:30 AM. Now a cup of coffee. It looks as though it's going to be a nice day. Clouds tuft past the second story window.

Like Rayna Green, I am an Americanist at heart. All "Cannery Row" and Augie March and William Kennedy's Albany. All Lilly Brothers and Bob Wills and Lonnie Mack. What can I say? I am a patriot?

Where have I been? Out in America, the southeastern provinces mostly, wandering around. Mostly looking at cars.

Holy smoke, I've fallen off. It's been a bear of a winter, and I've been deep in it. Friends and loved ones, here's where we been.


















1894 Winter
I here by the stove,
you off on
your wanderings


1895 Spring
A train goes by,
its smoke curling
around the new tree leaves

-Masaoka Shiki

No comments: